January 24, 2011

"Can I Touch Your Hair?" - Tales of a Naturalista, Vol. 1


it's been a little bit over six month since i've become natural, and while it has been a very liberating experience for me, i've definitely encountered some very awkward comments from people about my hair. now with being natural, i'm totally open to any questions people may have about my journey, products i may use or why i decided to start over.

but if there is one thing that just grinds my gears is when people touch my hair. [insert angry bbm face here]. yes, you can categorize me in that group of sistahs who are very particular about when others put their hands in my tresses, i ain't ashamed of the label. and i don't have an issue with strangers being curious, but damn, please just look! no need to touch and meddle. alright let me give you an example...


so i'm sitting in a staff meeting this past week, and all of a sudden, i feel fingers in my hair. clearly, they aren't mine because my hands are sitting in my lap. so i start to look weirdly around, wondering why in THE hell someone has their hands in my head. the dialogue went something like this. 


curious individual: oh my god, your hair is so soft!
me (with hesitance): uh, thanks.
curious individual (continues to massage my hair): it feels just like a sheep's wool!
me: hehe, thanks...i guess. [in my mind i'm like, WTF?!]
curious individual: you've never felt a sheep's wool before when it's just been combed out? your hair is soft just like that...




and she walked away, confident that she had just given me the compliment of the day. now there were several parts of my mind that wanted to turn around and cuss her out, but it's OBVIOUS that she had no idea that black women's hair is very different than that of the caucasian persuasion.

i've seen a number of articles from my favorite natural blog sites about this very topic, including on one of my favorite, College Curlies on how to handle rude comments about your hair.

if you know me, then you know that i can have a pretty smart mouth at times, but i've learned that sometimes people are just dumb and don't think before they speak. i've also learned not to play the defensive card, not only with my hair but any part of my image unless it is completely necessary. i love being natural, and i know that in the days, years and months to come i will have to educate those who may be curious about my curls. this process has definitely been a growth experience, and i'm loving the progress that my hair continues to make day after day. but if you MUST touch, just remember to ask. =]

to being natural and free,

-*csc.

2 comments:

  1. Yessssss! I feeel you in this!!
    Everyone's hand is alwaysss in my head!
    I love college curlies 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chas.. Love this entry. I have had natural hair my entire life, and I know it can be a challenge. I'm still learning and trying new products all the time to get that curl just right.. LOL.. It is pretty annoying when people touch in your hair. But the incident you mentioned is just weird.. Usually people ask before they just start touching all in your head.

    Love ya!
    Angel Burke

    ReplyDelete